Spasms and Medical Marijuana
"Smoked Cannabis was superior to placebo in symptom and pain reduction in participants with treatment-resistant spasticity." Jody Bloom, PhD
When a muscle suddenly contracts involuntarily - without useful function - that's called a spasm. Spasms, while painful, are normally harmless and only last a few minutes. In the vast majority of cases, muscle spasms can be effectively treated with hydration, electrolytes and rest.
However, spasms can cause serious damage, as is the case in a heart attack. Severe muscle spasms can even tear the muscle away from the bone. Not good. In the cases of Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy, spasms are, indeed a very serious threat to the patient's health and wellbeing.
Treatment with Pharmaceutical Drugs afford relief to some, but results are mixed. The incidence of harmful side effects is deeply disturbing and complications can be worse than the disease and symptoms themselves.
- "Cannabis medicinal extracts can improve neurogenic symptoms (SPASMS) unresponsive to standard treatment. Unwanted effects are predictable and generally well tolerated (FEW SIDE EFFECTS)." Dr. Derick T. Wade
Medical Marijuana's rapid rise in popularity with medical doctors is due legalization / availability of Medical Marijuana - with the realization that - in comparison to pharmaceutical drugs, side effects are trivial. Most importantly, they increasingly see the efficacy of MMJ - in both their own and colleagues' practices. In addition, there is now a wealth of peer scientific studies that attest to the effectiveness of Cannabis based drugs in the treatment of spasms, pain, cramping and related conditions.
Muscle Spasms & Medical Marijuana
While Cannabis is most popular as a painkiller, it also has a long history as a viable treatment for spasms. Scientific surveys revealed that many self-medicating patients have used the Pot to effectively manage spasms for many years. Moreover, they found about Pot through the grapevine. One severe spastic patient believed that it was Marijuana that was keeping her alive.
- Confirming scientifically what patients already knew "Cannabis medicinal extracts can improve neurogenic symptoms unresponsive to standard treatments. Unwanted effects are predictable and generally well tolerated. Larger scale studies are warranted to confirm these findings." Dr. Derick T. Wade
The two main medicinal ingredients of Marijuana, called Cannabinoids are THC (psychoactive) and CBD (non-psychoactive). Cannabinoids work by mimicking the body's own biochemicals - called endocannabinoids. When in short supply or there is an imbalance in neurochemistry, Cannabinoids found in Cannabis tend to biochemically balance the system by modulating neuro-receptors. In the case of spasms, muscular nerve misfiring is halted or reduced, in many cases.
Doctors Testimonials - MMJ & Spasms
- "The study met its primary objective to demonstrate the superiority of CE over placebo in the treatment of muscle stiffness and spasm in MS. No new safety concerns were observed." John P. Zajicek, PhD
- "Spasticity is a disabling complication of multiple sclerosis, affecting many patients with the condition. This study has shown Marijuana (Sativex) to improve spasticity in patients who had failed to respond adequately to other antispasticity medications..." Alena Novotna, MD
- A standardized Cannabis sativa plant extract might lower spasm frequency and increase mobility with tolerable side effects in MS patients with persistent spasticity not responding to other drugs." Claude Vaney, MD
- "Some patients with multiple sclerosis who smoke Cannabis [Marijuana] report relief of spasm and pain after the second or third puff of a Cannabis cigarette. This implies very rapid transit to, and absorption into the central nervous system. The time involved is seconds rather than minutes."
2001 - Brian A. Whittle, PhD
- "Pain relief associated with both THC and CBD was significantly superior to placebo (IN REDUCING SPASMS). Impaired bladder control, muscle spasms and spasticity were improved by CME in some patients with these symptoms. Cannabis medicinal extracts can improve neurogenic symptoms unresponsive to standard treatments. Unwanted effects are predictable and generally well tolerated." Derick T. Wade, MD
420EvaluationsOnline: Our licensed Doctors provide 420 Medical Marijuana Evaluations, Consultations and Recommendations. We also provide MMJ-ID cards that allow patients to access to MMJ from any licensed Medical Marijuana Dispensary or Clinic in California.
FURTHER READING - MARIJUANA & SPASMS